Thursday, September 5, 2013

Summer Running

At the beginning of the summer, I spotted an advertisement for the Big Cottonwood Canyon Half Marathon online. I clicked on it, looked through the pictures and videos, and cried. Yes, cried. I'm not a super emotional person but the pictures were beautiful! Oh the leaves!! Stunning. Anyway, I decided right then and there that I would sign up for the half. This coming from the girl who could barely survive 2 miles. So began my running journey. I started out with my first 5K (see earlier post) and ventured into my first 10K. My friend Celeste and I signed up for a midnight glow-stick 10K. I go to bed nightly at 10 PM, so a race starting at 10 may have not been the best decision of my life. Because of a course error, I ended up running 8.6 miles. Without stopping. And lived. I had never run that far and although I was a little peeved while running, I was so proud of myself for making it! 

Hands on hips = my go to picture pose. Why??

Celeste and I with our pre-run glow.
 For the past several years, I wanted to run my hometown's 5K at the annual county fair. I had never signed up because I couldn't run 3.1 miles and I really didn't want to try. This year, I did it! They changed the course to a route that was uphill for the first half. I found out 2 days before so I hadn't adequately trained for that many hills. It was a tough race but I was so happy to finally be able to do it! My not so little sister ran it with me AKA I watched her in the distance as she schooled me.


Thanks to a couple of very good friends, I think I've trained pretty well for my half next week. It helps so much to have good running partners. Thanks Kasie and Celeste! Our 6 am runs down the canyon have bonded us through sweat, cramps, and scares of not making it to the bathroom. 

Kas and I after our 10.7 mile run.

Wish me luck for my race next week! Oh and the one I signed up for in October too. What was I thinking?


No comments:

Post a Comment