Friday, November 22, 2013

Race Recaps

Warning: This is a REALLY long post. 
This fall, I signed crazy self up for two half marathons. It all started one day after I got home from the gym and was reading my favorite blog and an advertisement for the Big Cottonwood Canyon Half was on the sidebar of the page. I clicked on it solely because of the amazing fall leaves in the picture. Yes, I am a sucker for fall. I watched the short race video and by the end I was crying! Crying! I am not a cryer! I can't even blame it on monthly hormones. I was just so in love with the whole idea of running with fall leaves around me. I called my Mom who knew how far I couldn't run and my dislike for the sport, and told her that I was going to sign up for it. Her response was less than exciting because she probably thought I would change my mind after my first week of training. Before I dropped the dough (races are PRICY), I told myself I had to first run a 5 and 10K. So that's what I did! After that, I signed up and started upping my miles. I could go on and on about training but this is already boring enough. To summarize training = early mornings, good running partners, strategic potty timing, almost vomiting after eating my first and only GU, and discovering great remedies for chafing. TMI? I also know the location of every drinking fountain in Provo Canyon by heart. 

Big Cottonwood: I planned on running by myself (big mistake), but a friend dropped out at the last minute and my runner of a sister-in-law took her spot. Man was I grateful! I would've walked the last 3 miles because I was mentally done. She ran the whole thing without a problem and was nice enough to stay behind with me the whole time. It started with at 3:30 am wakeup call, a bus ride up the canyon, freezing for 1.5 hours at the starting line, a port a potty stop, and then we were off! The first 7 miles were straight down the curvy canyon. I didn't see many fall leaves (false advertising!!) but it was still so beautiful! I could hardly believe our pace, we were going considerably faster than my goal! I was feeling great until the very bitter end when I was just so sick of running. Thanks to my trusty Katy Perry and her Roar song (aka the best running song ever), I made it across the finish line! I don't care of this sounds cocky, but I was SO proud of myself! After months of early mornings, terrible shin splints, and a couple of breakdowns, I made it! We finished in 2:18. Slow for a lot of people, but 12 minutes faster than my goal. Go us!


This is a look of pure joy crossing the finish line. Check out that heel strike-ouch!

Add caption
Provo Canyon Halloween Half:
I signed up for this half before I had even run my first one! Crazy? Yes. My good running partner/friend Kasie had signed up and I wanted to do it with her. We landed the perfect race day. Not too hot, not to cold. Our costumes were minimal because you have to consider what you could actually wear for 13 miles. They changed the course last minute and instead of a downhill start at Sundance, we started at Deer Creek. This meant rolling hill after rolling hill. I was so nervous! Somehow, I champed right through...or over them. People's costumes kept me fairly entertained the whole time which helped a ton! Even though this was a harder course, I only had to stop once to massage (and threaten) my knee for about 45 seconds and once to strip down a layer. No walking for us! We finished at 2:18 and I think my final time was a few seconds better than Big Cottonwood. Not bad considering those hills! Some good friends were at the finish line waiting for us and they even made us a sign!

Hailey, me, Kas, Telley, Chelsie

Me and Kas

Rob and I


You've survived a very long post! Congrats. Now onto deciding my next race. Who wants to run it with me?


No comments:

Post a Comment