Monday, December 17, 2012

THERE IS GOOD IN THIS WORLD

Like everyone else, I can't get Fridays events out of my head. I don't have children, but the last few days I've noticed children in a different light as I think about those who were taken from this earth so early on into their lives. It's easy to get discouraged about the evil that is all around us and think that there is no good left to humanity. There is good, and I've chosen to focus on it. Friday night helped remind me of the good people in this world. I went to the Mormon Tabernacle Christmas concert as I do every year with my family. I usually leave bursting with Christmas cheer excited to give and open gifts. This year I left comforted. They had a moment of silence for those affected in CT at the beginning of the program and for the first time that day, I had tears in my eyes. It was so touching to be among 21,000 people in a room full of silence and the spirit. I cannot describe it. Along with beautiful music, they told the story of the Candy Bomber who organized candy drops after WW2 for those deprived during the existence of the Berlin Wall. The pilot was a farm boy from Utah who saw a need and did something about it. Most of the people around me were crying, including myself. At the end of the story, a large curtain dropped and there stood a tiny 92 year old man...the Candy Bomber. I think that it was just what everyone needed. He was the cutest thing! We all needed to be reminded that there is good in this world. I personally have faith in humanity and know that there will always be good around me if I look for it. And just for kicks, let's throw in the word good again.

No comments:

Post a Comment