Monday, January 14, 2013

Sometimes I Love My Job

This past weekend, I had so many great nursing moments. It is a thankless job and I've spent many hours thinking that: 1) I don't get paid near enough (this though usually crosses my mind when poop is involved) 2) What was I thinking when I said I wanted to be a nurse? Of course, I do love my job and I can't imagine doing anything else but it can be discouraging! I took care of a mentally delayed patient on Saturday and Sunday and those were some of my favorite shifts ever. She reminded me of the value of patience and made me so happy! I started whistling when I was hooking up her daily bag of TPN and a smile broke across her face that made my heart melt. I was keepin in old school and my tune of choice was from The Andy Griffith Show that I loved as a child. I whistled a few more and then she started making song requests. One of them was Green Acres. She had me stumped. So how did I spend my Saturday night? Trying to familiarize myself with the song enough to whistle it for her. The next day, I was so excited to perform. She loved it! I know this sounds silly, but I would've done just about anything to see her that happy. Yesterday, I washed her hair and gave her a head massage and I could tell she was in heaven! She also informed me that she loves Bing Crosby, so I downloaded his station to my Pandora and let her listen to it via my phone in her room until the end of my shift. I could probably do more stuff like this for all of my patients but she made me want to serve her because of her genuine happiness. So, to my sweet patient, thank you. Thank you for reminding me why I chose this job!

No comments:

Post a Comment